Dienstag, 3. September 2013

"CONTACT - Das Taktische UFO-Rollenspiel" - Fan Project

As I am still slightly annoyed with the "The Dark Eye" RPG I decided to distract myself with something different and picked up my copy of the CONTACT core rule book again. Although "The Dark Eye" is still my current favourite roleplaying game CONTACT is still a close second. In short order I was reading the book again, browsing the publishers site for Errata and free supplements. 

What I found pleased me greatly. The errata was only a single well formatted sheet and the offering of short free adventures or scenarios for the system had grown since I last checked. I had a look at the character calculator as well. While character creation in CONTACT is a lot simpler than say in DSA ("Das Schwarze Auge"/"The Dark Eye") I still found this little tool to be immensely helpfull. The only thing that made me raise an eyebrow is, that the tool is an Excel sheet. While Excel is a superb tool to calculate character math as in CONTACT I prefer proper stand alon software, like the Helden-Software for DSA.

Pondering the situation for a few moments I came to the conclusion that I could try to write a proper piece of Software for CONTACT character creation. To incite myself I resolved to try and make it look good as well. Although character creation in CONTACT is not as complicated as in some other RPGs this project certainly is ambitious enough and I have no idea yet, if I will be able to see it through to a good end. Here is a first work in progress snapshot anyway.

CONTACT - Character Tool - A fan project

This snapshot is in no way final. Indeed it is only a first concept. If you are interrested in seeing this tool published, let me know and I will approach the right holders to eventually make it publicly available. Eitehrway, until then I still need to invest a lot of effort and time into the project anyway.


CONTACT is a product (c) 2012 by Robert Hamberger, all rights reserved, and published by the Uhrwerk Verlag

Kommentare:

  1. Hey Chris! Keep up the good work. I'm curious too see how this Software turns out. If you need anything, let us know.

    Cheers,
    Rob

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Which language do you use? Java or a langC ? Perhaps I could help a bit, even while I am still writing a new and improved excel sheet (inspired by the Dragon Age Character Sheet 1.15)

    Greetings
    Schwepsi

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Hi! Sorry for the late reply. I originally started writing this in C#. Sadly I haven't had time to work on it in a while. Currently I'm pondering starting over and implementing it using Blender's Game Engine. This would make things easier in regards to graphics etc. but would also include Phyton scripting which while not terribly hard is not something I'm very familiar with yet. Will have to make some time to look into it in more depth.

      Löschen